A business plan is a detailed description of a project. How much money is needed to start, when the business pays off, there are possible risks. He makes it clear whether the idea of dressing or its place in the trash can.
Preparation begins with detailed answers to 3 questions:
- What do you have now and who are you? You must admit even that you are a cashier or cleaner. Recognize what knowledge, skills are not enough. How much money do you have now to open your business, do you have influential acquaintances, etc. Embellishment of reality will only hurt.
- What do you want to come to? The response from the series “I’m a Millionaire” is discarded. You must write what profit you expect from the enterprise, how many units of goods / services are sold daily, what place in the market will take, etc.
- What actions will help to reach the end point? You can write large steps, and then break them into small ones. Masha is good at knitting sweaters. She has already made 30 pieces. Where to go next? The first step is to post the goods on Instagram. You need to find a photographer, take a photo, come up with a description, upload everything to the Internet.
Why and who needs it
Who will require a business plan from you:
- Bank. In addition to collateral and guarantors, he needs additional guarantees. If you just say that you want to trade iPhone, you will be sent to hell. But you come with a clear plan (how much money will be needed when the first profit starts to drip), and you will be given a loan with hospitality.
- Employees. They want to know the career prospects, and also whether the company will fall apart in the first month. Showing the entire plan is optional. Enough general information. As long as the organization does not have a reputation, it is necessary to achieve people’s trust. Otherwise, why would talent come to you if he was offered a place in Samsung Corporation.
- You. Even books are rarely written improvising. In this case, a business plan is a step-by-step instruction that says what to do today to achieve what you want.
The lack of a business plan will result in you pulling the case alone. No foresight, so any competitor will easily beat and leave in bankruptcy.
Making one business plan for everyone is a disastrous business. When compiling, you need to build on who you are writing for. There are only 2 options:
- Internal. Doesn’t go beyond the organization. We focus on costs, budget, volume of production, property. We also prescribe the worst situation that an enterprise may fall into.
- External. It is created for officials, investors, banks. Purpose: to impress and beg for money. Statistics, calculations are supported by facts. Charts, photos are welcome.
We are engaged in SWOT analysis
It’s time to voice the opportunity out loud. What you do yourself, what you can do without, how much money you need.
SWOT analysis is:
- strengths (strengths) – demand, lack of seasonality, minimum investment;
- weakness (weaknesses) – high competition, illiterate professionals can harm customers;
- opportunities (opportunities) – what can you give;
- threats (threats / risks) – customers will prefer to go to familiar places, they will not like the service, prices.
Analysis can be prepared in half an hour. But it is better not to rush and paint each item in detail. When you are done with the SWOT analysis, you can move on to drawing up a business plan.
How to make a plan: structure with examples
There is no one universal template for all types of business projects. But there is a structure and patterns from which to build on. I will give an example of a real business plan so that you understand how it works. It is suitable for individual entrepreneurs, joint-stock companies, cooperatives, holdings.
For a business plan to work, you must adhere to the following requirements:
- volume – 20-30 pages;
- use information from reliable sources;
- all sections should be interconnected with each other;
- prices should be realistic and calculated on the basis of cost and competitive analysis;
- conditions for returning money to banks, investors need to clearly state.
The title page is where to start. It depends on its design and content whether people want to cooperate and give money.
What should be:
- company name with contacts, address;
- name of the owner;
- who and when made the business plan;
- significant financial indicators – estimated profit, return on investment, size of investments (optional).
Memorandum of confidentiality
A document forbidding to copy, use, give others a business plan without permission of the author. It protects your idea from theft, so be sure to add it.
Brief description of the project. In these first two pages, investors decide whether to invest or not.
What to write:
- The purpose of the project. What and where are you going to open.
- Mission. What tasks will the project solve?
- Target audience.
- How much money is needed to open a business. When the project pays off.
- Possible risks. You can not write or outline in general terms.
You won’t have to think much if you already did a SWOT analysis with me.